Saturday, August 30, 2008

Obama: "Yes We Can"

Oh friends, the other night Drew and I listened to Obama's speech accepting the Democratic Party's nomination of candidacy for the office of US President. I think it was a remarkable speech. But what was even more remarkable to me was how inspired I felt listening to his plans for his presidency, which highlighted for me just how cynical and jaded I have become. I can honestly say that at this point in my little life, I had lost any bit of hope that a major, national politician would speak to me in a way that left me feeling hopeful for the direction of our country. Drew and I looked at each other and said, "Wow, it has been a really difficult eight years." I hadn't realized just how depressed I have felt about the landscape of our country's future until Obama said, "America, we are better than this. We are better than these last eight years."

I realize that the reality of what he can deliver, should he be elected, may differ significantly from what he is promising, but I don't care. What is important to me is the perspective he presents. He speaks to my values and mind. He is not promising that we agree, but that he will respect my point of view, and lead from a place of mutual respect for all people of this great nation. Folks, we live in a pluralistic society. There are a lot of us here, and we all have different opinions. In my view, a leader of us all should be able to appreciate and honor others and their values and viewpoints. I believe we have found such a leader in Barack Obama.

If you didn't hear the speech, check it out here: http://my.barackobama.com/barackspeech

If you have not registered to vote yet, please do so and vote in this election.

No comments: