Thursday, August 27, 2009

Keep Moving



I keep avoiding writing, because it feels as though we are in a holding pattern. I keep looking for charismatic completion tasks to highlight, but mostly what this week has been about are unseen details, such as blocking, sister joists, end-wall joists, rim joists, etc. Nothing that looks very exciting, unless you are familiar with building process, and what it really means. I keep leaving home for a half day, and hoping it will be different when I return, but it's not.

Karl is leaving tomorrow for two weeks, to head to Burning Man, so our crew will be without the master-brain for a little while. And I am beginning to feel a little pressured about weather, as we are almost to September. At any turn here, we could expect a little or a lot of precipitation. I guess nothing would be very damaged at this point, if at all, but it still creates anxiety. Just this evening, as I collected the laundry off the clothesline, I looked west, and saw a decidedly autumn looking sunset sky. And I notice, with a hint of alarm, that it is getting dark much earlier, seemingly all of a sudden.

Thankfully, the garden makes up for anxiety, nurturing my gastric senses. Eggplant, beans, zucchini, cucumbers, arugula, carrots, kale, tomatoes, raspberries, and herbs, with a whole crop of brassicas on the way behind. And some onions almost ready. Mmmmmm. I love the summer garden.

No comments: